Statement of Belief
The purpose of this statement, as designed by the Stewart Cooperative Association, Inc. Board of Directors, is to provide general guidance on the organization, governance and operation of the corporation. When a conflict of ambiguity exists with regard to this statement, it will be resolved by the Board of Directors in conjunction with the Elder Board.
Purpose and Foundation
Stewart Cooperative shall provide a wholesome environment for young Christian women attending Purdue University. Stewart Cooperative shall be established as a residence for members who serve and worship Jesus Christ.
Statement of Faith
A statement of faith defines what it means to be a Christian, and consequently defines whom Stewart Cooperative recognizes as a Christian. At Stewart Cooperative, we define a Christian as someone who has authentically pledged to trust and follow Jesus Christ as her Lord and Savior now and forever.
Statement of Doctrine
- that the bible is the inspired infallible Word of God, the final authority in all matters of faith and conduct (II Timothy 3:15-16, II Peter 1:20-21).
- there is only one God, eternally existing in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit (Deuteronomy 6:4, John 5:17-30, John 14:16-17).
- that Jesus Christ is fully God and fully man, born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, died for the sins of mankind, was physically resurrected from the dead, and sits at the right hand of God the Father He will return to claim his people and judge the world. (Isaiah 7:14, John 1:1-3,14, I Corinthians 15:3-4, Hebrews 4:15, Hebrews 7:26)
- in the sinfulness of mankind and that salvation comes only by grace through repentance from sin and faith in the shed blood of Jesus (Romans 3:23, Romans 5:8-9, Ephesians 2:8-9).
- in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit whose indwelling presence enables Christians to live godly and holy lives (Romans 8:5-11, Galatians 5:22-25).
- in the resurrection of the dead; the believer to life everlasting and the unbeliever to eternal punishment (Matthew 25:31-46, Hebrews 9:27).
Statement of Accountability
A statement of accountability defines the parameters of affirmation and adherence to Biblical truth for the women living in the house, the Board of Directors, and the participating members of the Stewart Cooperative Association. [Deuteronomy 30:10; Joshua 22:5; I Kings 2:3; II Timothy 4:2; Titus 2:15; Matthew 18:14-17]
- There are issues to which the Bible speaks in a clear and conclusive manner. In these issues, it is the policy of the Stewart Cooperative Association Board of Directors to require the participating members of the Board and the Association to be accountable to those clear and conclusive truths set forth in God’s Word.
- We require that all participating members embrace and conform their lives to the clear and conclusive truths of the Bible.
- We require that all participating members refrain from propagating any assertions or Scriptural interpretations that do not conform to the clear and conclusive truths of the Bible.
- The interpretation of Scripture and the judgments as to which portions of that Scripture are presented in a clear and conclusive way are fully and completely defined and determined by the Board of Directors.
- The interpretation of the facts and circumstances of a member’s life and the judgments as to whether those facts and circumstances fall under an area of Scripture that is presented in a clear and conclusive way are fully and completely defined and determined by the Board of Directors.
- We, as children of God, will strive for purity and Christ-likeness.
- Although all people are sinners, those knowingly continuing in sin shall serve the consequences.
- Disciplinary actions will follow biblical guidelines (Matthew 18:15-17). Although not an exhaustive list, following are examples of sins that will constitute the need for disciplinary action. No one sin is more important than another and it will be up the discretion of the Executive Board of the Stewart Cooperative Board of Directors for determining the biblical terms and grounds for disciplinary action and expulsion from the Board of Directors and/or participating membership in the Association. I John 3:4-10
- I Corinthians 5:9-13 – sexually immoral, greedy, idolater, slanderer, swindler, drunkard
- Romans 1:18-32 – homosexuality, perverse relationships
Persistent Teaching of False Doctrines and Intentional Divisiveness and Disputing:
- I Timothy 6:3-5 – false doctrines, quarrels, and arguments
- Romans 16:17 – instigator of division
- Titus 3:9-11 – divisive person
- II Corinthians 12:20 – gossip
Statement of Unity [I Corinthians 1:10, Ephesians 4:3, Romans 15:5]
- There are issues of life and faith on which the Bible is either silent, unclear, or inconclusive.
- In keeping with this policy, we require members to refrain from engaging or promoting these types of issues in such a way that causes disputes, dissention, or hardness of heart.
***Any questions or concerns about this document should be directed to the Board of Directors.
As a participating member of Stewart Cooperative Association, I agree that I have read the above statement and understand its contents and purpose. I agree to maintain these principles to the best of my ability as an alumnus of Stewart Cooperative as long as I am a participating member of Stewart Cooperative Association, Inc. I understand that concurrence with this document is required to validate my status as a participating member of Stewart Cooperative Association.